Thursday, October 18, 2018

Assignment 15- Figuring out Buyer Behavior 2

I presented each interviewee with 3 alternatives, two shopping list apps (one free and one premium) and the option of calling a store to find out produce prices. There is no single app that does everything mine would do, so none of the options are complete substitutes.

The interviews:

  • All three interviewees chose the free app because it started free and then they had the option to upgrade for more functionality if they liked it. None of them wanted to call the stores, but they all wished there was a way to check without calling. Two of the interviewees stated that when they look back on purchases of this nature the most important thing is if they got value for their original money (ie if they save more than they spent), the other thinks that the most important thing is if they saved time because of the purchase, not money.
Conclusions:
  • The segment does now want to put forth the effort to save money and would rather spend a little money to save a lot, however they need proof that the concept works before they'll invest money in the app. This leads me to believe that a free trial is the best way to draw people to purchasing the app. If people have saved time, money, or both after the trial, they will more than likely purchase the app.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Peyton,

    I am sure you predicted the results that you discovered in these interviews. I feel as if many people do not want to pay for something without knowing it will actually benefit them. I think you could start with a free trial run of the app and then survey current customers in order to show potential users how much they need the app.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Payton,
    It seems that you confirmed what the world already knows, nobody likes to call anyone anymore, they would rather look for their answers online where they don’t have to interact with other people. I’m guilty of it too, if I can’t find a business and their information online then it doesn’t exist. With that being said, your app caters to the information seeking habits that most people already have and through your interviews you have found that they best way to introduce people to your app is through free trials.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Payton,
    It looks like you got some good insight on what is most likely to sell to your buyer demographic. I completely agree that I would not spend money on an app with out trying it for myself first. Therefore, a free trial would be a great plan. Have you thought about how you will advertise your product? I think that advertising on the facebook app would get traffic into your App Store display.

    ReplyDelete