The Gainesville Sun
1.
- Title: University of Florida grads will walk a smaller stage, upsetting some
- Link: https://www.gainesville.com/sports/20180910/university-of-florida-grads-will-walk-smaller-stage-upsetting-some
- The Story: UF has decided to prohibit students from walking across the large stage at graduation and the students are upset because they want recognition.
- The Problem: UF won't allow students to be recognized in a large graduation ceremony like they have in the past.
- The Who: UF students, especially seniors
2.
- Title: 2 Starbucks shops under construction in Gainesville
- Link: https://www.gainesville.com/news/20180912/2-starbucks-shops-under-construction-in-gainesville
- The Story: 2 new Starbucks coffee shops are opening in Gainesville soon.
- The Problem: Local, non-chain coffee shops have more competition coming to town. Starbucks is a familiar chain and more locations could impact the businesses.
- The Who: Local, non-chain coffee shops
3.
- Title: Man accused of entering unlocked vehicles
- Link: https://www.gainesville.com/news/20180826/man-accused-of-entering-unlocked-vehicles
- The Story: A man was arrested for breaking into people's unlocked vehicles and attempting to open several.
- The Problem: People leave their car unlocked and leave themselves susceptible to being robbed.
- The Who: People who drive.
4.
- Title: Alligator attacks on the rise
- Link: https://www.gainesville.com/news/20180902/alligator-attacks-on-rise
- The Story: Alligator attacks on people and animals have been increasing steadily and are becoming more of a danger.
- The Problem: Alligators are attacking fools.
- The Who: Everyone. Literally everyone in Florida.
5.
- Title: Gun on campus investigation continues at BHS
- Link: https://www.gainesville.com/news/20180906/gun-on-campus-investigation-continues-at-bhs
- The Story: At a local high school a girl brought a gun to school and threatened to shoot another girl.
- The Problem: Security at the high school level is low and needs to be improved to help protect students. The other problem is mental illness, people are not getting the help that they need and it is leading to school shootings and almost shootings like at BHS.
- The Who: Students, faculty, and staff at schools.
Hi Peyton,
ReplyDeleteI found your post to be very short and sweet, very straight forward and to the point. I liked how organized you displayed all of your information making it extremely easy to read and keep up with. I found the first one, about UF graduation interesting because I was not aware of this change. I see where walking a smaller stage would upset people, especially if they have been picturing their graduation a certain way, but I don't think it should make anyone's big day any less special. What do you think?
Hi Peyton,
ReplyDeleteI found your post to be informative and brought light to several issue I was unaware of locally. I think your local issue of gun control on campuses is very important and needs to be addressed, as you mention mental health is an important consideration in the gun control situation. Alligator attacks being on the rise was not something I was aware about. I feel like you can narrow down "the who" in this local opportunity, to be as specific as possible, to people near bodies of water where alligators are located.
Hello Peyton,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post. It was very straight forward, yet also very informative. The University of Florida graduation ceremonies have been a hot topic around campus. It is a prime example of how one persons actions can affect a vast number of people. I also found it interesting how there is an increase in alligator attacks. My first guess would be that they are being out run of their habitats by new developments being built. I think people need to be aware of this problem and help these animals find homes if theirs is being taken away.