Friday, September 14, 2018

Assignment 6- Identifying Opportunities in Economic & Regulatory Trends

Economic Trends:

Millennial Eating Habits

  • According to an article that I read by Business Insider, millennial eating habits are far different from the baby boomer generation and these differences are leading to lots of restaurants either closing or adapting to their habits. The article suggests that millennials prefer quick, on the go food that is typically healthier than normal fast food (ex. Chipotle). There is also a shift in what type of restaurants millennials prefer. Millennials prefer event based restaurants like Dave & Busters and are drifting from the normal sit down restaurant setting (ex. Applebee's). This leads me to believe that an opportunity might exist to provide a faster healthy food alternative or maybe one that delivers. There could also be opportunity for a restaurant that is more event oriented like D&B. The prototypical customers are millennials and the younger generation, Gen Z. I believe that this opportunity would be difficult to exploit primarily because the restaurant and bar industry is full of competition. I saw this opportunity because I am a millennial and I personally would like more healthy options that are as easily accessible as McDonald's.

Electric Cars

  • I was reading an article by Motor Trend that was discussing the expansion of the electric car industry and how more and more people are switching to driving electric. I think there could be an opportunity in the installation of domestic car charging stations. As electric cars are becoming more prevalent in society, there is going to be an emerging need for home car charging stations. I think a company that will show up and install a charging station for you (much like the home theatre installers of the past) would do really well. The target consumer is people that have electric cars or are considering purchasing electric cars. I think that this would be slightly difficult to exploit, but not as hard as the restaurant industry. I don't think that there would be much competition in the space, I thin the trouble would come with trying to get your foot in the door and get ahold of the charging stations to install.  I think that I saw this opportunity because I have seen lots of charging stations in public and have just wondered who installs the home or private business stations. I just kinda think this would be a cool opportunity to pursue.


Regulatory Changes:

Legalization of Marijuana


  • An article by USA Today discussed the growing acceptance of marijuana smoking in the United States. The article predicted that within the next few years marijuana will be legalized in the states and eventually the federal government will follow suit. There is a huge opportunity for marijuana dispensaries and bakeries in these states that are going to soon legalize weed. The prototypical customer would be pot smokers and those that use marijuana for medicinal purposes. I think this would be a relatively easy exploit if you had the capital to pursue it. If you were able to acquire a license to dispense and then set up a dispensary, you would have very little competition if you were the first in some of these states that are going to legalize weed. I saw this opportunity probably because of my fascination with the shows Weeds and Breaking Bad. I think that weed should absolutely be legal even though I don't smoke it. I am libertarian and firmly believe that marijuana should be legal (among other drugs, but that's a whole other issue).


Ending Net Neutrality


  • Net Neutrality is explained in depth in an article by CNET. This article in addition to the press and media coverage of net neutrality made me think of new opportunities. With the deregulation of the internet there is an opportunity for new, independent ISPs (Internet Service Providers) to emerge and offer better, lower rates to consumers. This is much like when cell phone plans became deregulated a few years back. When cell phones became deregulated, new providers emerged and started offering better deals with unlimited data and just better plans all around. The customer for this opportunity is everyone in the U.S. that wants good, reliable internet for a good price (basically everybody). This opportunity would be very difficult to pursue because you would have to know how start up an ISP and then compete with the big boys like Comcast. Your business would come from offering lower rates than the big ISPs.
  • I see this opportunity because of my political beliefs. As a libertarian I was very pro ending net neutrality so this opportunity aligns with my beliefs nicely.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Peyton, I found your post to be quite informative, I wasn't aware of these opportunities or situations prior to reading. I am specifically interested in your regulatory changes, marijuana use has become a hot topic recently as it is supposed to have health benefits when used medicinally, despite this it is not legal in many states. Net Neutrality is also a good issue that you bring into notice, regulation of internet use is not something I am a believer in and it would definitely not be affordable for some people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Peyton,
    I enjoyed reading your post. I was very intrigued that you brought up millennial eating habits as a possible opportunity. I agree with you when you discuss how different millennials want to dine versus how say generation x wants to dine. It definitely is faster and healthier. My only concern is that there are a lot of competition between places like Chipotle, Zoe's Kitchen, etc.; so as a new company you would have to greatly differentiate yourself to attract new customers.

    ReplyDelete