Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Assignment 19- Napkin No. 2


  1. I am a graphic design and photography major and I own and operate a small graphic design company that does graphic design work and branding for small businesses. My five years of graphic design and coding experience will be helpful in the development of the app. I know that I can create a visually beautiful app with a good and easy to use UI. I want to make an app that is just as good looking as it is functional. My ultimate goal with this venture if I were to pursue it would be to sell it to the highest bidder down the line.
  2. I am offering to customers an easier way to shop for produce, butcher items, and baked goods at local supermarkets. The app will analyze the users shopping list and tell them where to purchase each item to save the most money. It will also check the price of gas and determine if it's worth driving to the multiple stores or not. The best way to gather these prices at the start will be for me to personally gather all the prices of the items at all the stores in the Gainesville area each week. This would be to prove my concept and show the retailers that it will bring them more customers once they know where to get the best deal. Eventually I would implement a way for each retailer to update their prices in the app when they change the price. 
  3. The target demographic of this product is shoppers who want good deals such as young people (millenials), couponers, and parents. These people in the Gainesville area are who I would focus on first before expanding state or nationwide.
  4. Customers will pay money for this app because it will save them more money in the long haul. The app will have a 30 day free trial so the customer can see just how much they can save. After the free trial period the app will cost $5 a month.
  5. The feature that sets my app apart from the crowd is the algorithm that will run a cost-benefit analysis on your shopping list. It will determine the cheapest places to buy your food items and then determine the cost in gas to get to each store. It will determine if it is worth going to certain stores to save money and then will show how much money you can save by shopping at certain stores for certain items. This feature will allow you to save the most money possible.
I think all five of these elements work well with each other. I think that if I was able to develop this app it would sell itself. The app would be incredibly useful to the customers and would be worth them subscribing to it.

Feedback memo: The two main points that I took away from feedback were determining how I will gather the prices of these items and how I will charge my customers (free trial, subscription, flat rate, etc). I addressed both of these points in the napkin.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Peyton,
    It seems like you are using all your skills and knowledge to your advantage when it comes to your app! I think that is really important and smart that you decided to design a product/service that you can completely run and manage yourself. That way you won't have to spend time looking for too much help in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Peyton,
    You did a good job of distinguishing yourself from others by identifying your skills and what separates you from others in the market with a service like this. Your feedback memo bring up two good and beneficial changes required, you implemented these well and helped create a more complete idea napkin. I like how you said you'll focus first in Gainesville and expand outwards after that, it's important to not start too big and set unrealistic goals for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Peyton,
    I love all of the details that you added. I know I was one of the ones that suggested the free trial so I am happy to see you took that into consideration and implemented it. I think it will be a great way to get people to commit to the monthly charge and ultimately drive more business. Your Idea Napkin was very clear and well thought out and I was happy to read the updated version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Peyton,

    I think you are right on top of everything about you and this app. I love how you are using your preexisting skills and business to develop this new app concept you have come up with. Having a graphic design background will immensely help when developing logos and the "look" and feel" of your app. I also think you did a great job being very specific when discussing the various aspects of your app.

    ReplyDelete