Friday, September 7, 2018

Assignment 4- Forming an Opportunity Belief


  1. I believe that an opportunity exists relating to college dorm room keys. College students must have three room keys at all times to get into their building, hall, room, and mailbox.
  2. College students (at UF specifically) want one, universal key to get them into everything that they need. This is a relatively new development because the key fob style entry isn't that old of a technology. I am like 80% sure this opportunity exists. I suggest a college ID with a built in fob that can open the building, hallway, dorm room, and even the mailbox in addition to all the other functions of the ID.
  3. College campuses are the prototypical customers, but college students and faculty would be the users.
  4. So I talked to a student and they said it would be much easier to use one universal key fob for everything. They discover the need when they are going out to downtown or midtown. They don't want to take their keys with them because they already have to take their phone and wallet. They have a fear of losing the keys. To currently address the need they give their keys to someone with pockets in the group so one person is kinda burdened with everyone else's keys. They liked my solution because they already have to carry their ID everywhere and it would make their life easier.
  5. Another student added input about the possibility about losing their ID and then also losing their dorm key. My rebuttal to this is that you can lose your keys or ID anyways, having it all in one place doesn't increase those odds, but actually lowers the odds of losing it because you are able to be more protective of one item as opposed to four. An interesting suggestion from them was to incorporate tracking technology into the ID like Tile so that you can track your ID from your phone if you lose it. 
  6. My final interview was with a student who was especially happy about the prospect of a key fob controlled mailbox. They stated that they hate their mail keys and mailbox because they are difficult to open and the mail keys get bent out of shape easily. They agreed that having one key for everything would make life better and simplify getting into their dorm.
  7. Reflection: I learned through my interviews that people agreed with me. One interesting suggestion that I got was the idea of an app that can unlock the fob sensors instead of using the ID. The most surprising thing about this opportunity is that it hasn't been fixed yet. Everyone I talked to thought it was an awesome idea and they wanted it to go into effect immediately.
  8. Summarize: Everyone always has their phone with them. I believe the opportunity is still all there and could definitely be pulled off. I think entrepreneurs should absolutely adapt their ideas to the customers wants because the customer is the one who will buy it, you need to have their interest. 


4 comments:

  1. Hey Peyton, I really enjoyed how you asked the question to a student on whether they would rather lose their student ID or their dorm keys. Life is about making choices, and prioritizing your values. It is interesting to see what each person values, and how they prioritize these values. I also like the original opportunity that you identified with the phone problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Peyton, I enjoyed reading your piece and think that your opportunity addresses a very practical problem here at UF. I think you make a good point identifying the balance between having and ID and key fob in the same item, such as the consequences of losing something like that and replacing it. I think the idea of having an app to function as a key fob also has potential, as people are less likely to misplace their phone than their ID.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Peyton,

    Fantastic post! You made some great points about the inconvenience of having multiple different keys. I can definitely see how it could get frustrating. My friend lives in an apartment complex by my house and have the exact same issue so I guess it is not limited to just college campus apartments/dorms. Maybe you can do some further research to find out who, other than college students, struggle with this inconvenience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Peyton,
    Great idea to combine all three needed dorm room keys with the student ID. I looked it up and apparently key fobs have been in use since 1998, that's 20 years. While that isn't necessarily a long time in the grand scheme of things, it is however plenty long enough for us to be saying "why isn't this already a thing?"

    ReplyDelete