Friday, September 7, 2018

Assignment 2- The Bug List

  1. When you pour water out of a cup the water runs down the side of the glass instead of pouring in a stream.
    • WHY: Water's properties of cohesion and adhesion cause the water to pour in an annoying way.
  2. Sleeping with headphones is difficult.
    • WHY: Headphones are too big and prevent you from laying on your side.
  3. Dorms have too many keys.
    • WHY: They have a key fob, room key, and mail key instead of a universal fob for all three. This is a problem because keys are bulky and sometimes difficult to keep track of.
  4. White shoes get dirty too easily.
    • WHY: White shows dirt and mud more easily than dark shoes. They stain more easily and are more difficult to clean.
  5. The line at the Graham Area Chomp It is always really long and the whole store is packed with people waiting on their food.
    • WHY: The store is understaffed for the demand. They have one cashier and two people cooking at rush hour and they just cannot keep up the pace required to serve all the customers.
  6. Dorm rooms in Hume are to humid and therefore don't cool down.
    • WHY: There are no dehumidifiers built into the A/C units in the rooms or on the floors to pull the moisture from the air.
  7. iPhone charging cables break easily.
    • WHY: The lightning cables are not designed to be bent at a perpendicular angle so when someone is holding their phone with it charged in, it is often ruining the cable.
  8. When the wind blows and your umbrella turns inside out.
    • WHY: Umbrellas aren't necessarily designed for high intensity winds.
  9. Batteries run out of juice too quickly.
    • WHY: Alkaline batteries are cheap to manufacture and buy, but hold very little charge.
  10. On campus it is nearly impossible to drive during rush hour because of the pedestrians.
    • WHY: Crosswalks are everywhere and people don't wait to let vehicles pass through, they just go and make the cars wait. No crossing guards of any sort.
  11. Cars don't pay attention for cyclists.
    • WHY: Drivers aren't educated to look for cyclists in the bike lane, also some roads on campus don't have bike lanes so there's that.
  12. When autocorrect incorrectly corrects a word in your text and then when you send it you look stupid.
    • WHY: Autocorrect is just dumb and doesn't really know grammar and when words make sense, especially slang words.
  13. When you peel a sticker off or something and it doesn't come off all the way so there's left over sticker residue and it's annoying.
    • WHY: Stickers are not made the be unstuck so if you make a mistake or decide you don't want the sticker anymore it becomes difficult to remove it.
  14. When erasers leave the shaving behind and it makes a mess.
    • WHY: That's just how erasers work. It's still annoying.
  15. When people are driving and they don't use their turn signal.
    • WHY: When people drive they are concerned with themselves and their own driving. They don't think about how they're driving impacts someone else.
  16. People don't drive fast in the left hand lane, thus forcing people who want to go fast to weave in and out of traffic.
    • WHY: Some people may not be educated that the left lane is a faster, passing lane and it is much safer to move faster in the left lane.
  17. People who don't right turn in a continuous right turn lane.
    • WHY: People are not used to the road and are uneducated as to the nature of the turn lane.
  18. Here's another driving one: WHEN PEOPLE DON'T KNOW HOW TO MERGE.
    • WHY: People are either uneducated or nervous about merging so they just wait to merge until there is a huge gap.
  19. When you have a song stuck in your head, but you can't think of the song's name.
    • WHY: If you hear a catchy song you can get it stuck in your head, but you don't actually know the song.
  20. Healthy food always seems to taste worse than unhealthy food.
    • WHY: Unhealthy food has added ingredients that add to the flavor but have unhealthy properties. Healthy, diet food, doesn't have those artificial flavors.
Reflection: So I really had a difficult time with this assignment. A lot of my bugs are similar because I just couldn't come up with anything. I complain all the time, but when I actually have to think of things that bug me on the spot it was much more difficult.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Peyton, your bug list provides a series of inconveniences that most people experience from a day to day basis. I relate with you in the sense that I complain all day too, but it was significantly harder for me to concretely identify a specific problem on the spot. Although, through this class I believe we can see how entrepreneurs can work with opportunities such as the ones listed above and make everyday problems more bearable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Peyton,
    As I read your list I noticed that a lot of your bugs were driving related and I just wanted to say that I totally understand. A lot of the things I wrote in my list were related to driving and how people just can't seem to follow simple rules. I also understand how hard it was to come up with 20 things. I feel like there are a bunch of things that bug me, but when it came time to write them down my mind went blank.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Peyton,

    Your bug list was very thorough and I can tell you put a lot of thought into this assignment. I related to so many of the bugs, I can't believe I didn't think of some of them on my own, especially the first one about the cup! I enjoyed reading your blog post and I am looking forward to having you in my group!

    ReplyDelete